Thursday, September 27, 2012

Pizza Night - A Healthy Version (9/26)

So, I admit, I cheated two nights in a row!  :)  I had an appointment at my new Aveda salon and figured while I was out I would stop for a manicure and pedicure, too.  By the time I was sufficiently cute, it was well past 8:00pm, so I stopped and picked up a veggie pizza from The Mellow Mushroom.  But, just because I decided to have someone else cook my pizza last night, does not mean that I am not full capable of making a tasty one of my own! 

This is a slightly modified version of a Pampered Chef recipe, albeit quite old.  While you don't need a pizza stone or a mandolin (both of which I believe should be in every kitchen), it definitely makes things a lot easier!  In case you have never seen either of these two items before, I attached a few pics in case you decide to skip over to the store for a quick purchase!


                        


Three-Cheese Veggie Pizza:
  • 1 Pillsbury pizza dough (feel free to pick up a dough ball from a local pizzeria or try a prepared whole wheat crust from the deli)
  • 1 tsp minced garlic (use more or less depending on how much you like garlic)
  • 1 medium tomatoes, sliced wafer thin
  • 1 zucchini, sliced wafer thin
  • 1 medium onion, sliced wafer thin
  • 1c sliced mushrooms
  • 1 1/2 c shredded mozzerella cheese
  • 1/2 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 c shredded parmesean cheese (HIGHLY recommend parmesean reggiano)
  • 1 tsp italian seasoning (normally includes oregano, basil, etc.)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Stretch pizza dough to fit pizza stone (about 12" x 15" or 15" round; be sure to roll some at the edges for the crust).  Bake for 7 minutes.  Remove from oven and spread with minced garlic.

While crust is baking, slice tomatoes, zucchini and onions (mandolin slicer on thinnest setting).

Top crust with a single layer of each vegetable (first tomatoes, then zucchini, onions and mushrooms).  Top with mozzerella and cheddar cheese and italian seasoning.  Return to oven and bake 15-18 minutes (will be golden brown).  Top with parmesean cheese; let sit for 5 minutes then slice and serve! 

Alternate versions:  
Craving more Greek than Italian?  Try sun-dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, kalamata olives and feta!
Think vegetarian meal is for the birds?  Go ahead and throw on some pepperoni!
Monitoring carbs?  Use only 1/2 of the pizza crust and roll thin!
Kids don't like to share or cannot agree on toppings?  Cut the crust into 4 and let them choose how to top it!

No comments:

Post a Comment